May 10, 2009

Tofini... marinofu... Okay, name to come!

As much as I love the Food Network website, it lacks somewhat in the area of pasta with tofu recipes. As I am in faux-vegan mode until I get married, the ever-succinctly named "meat sauce" is out. In truth, the phrase "meat sauce" has always been enough to make me skip dinner. Yuck! Anyway, I resorted to making it up a tofu-based recipe myself. I have been working on this one for a while, and I have it to a point where I am happy with it. Comments welcome!

4 tbsp olive oil
1 lg onion finely diced
4-5 good-sized garlic cloves, minced
2-3 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini (courgette) sliced
[Other vegetables by preference]
2 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1/2 tbsp thyme
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon (not kidding!)
7oz jar whole mantilla olives, drained (only 1/2 jar if you don't love salty foods, and omit black olives)
2.25oz can sliced black olives, drained
1 tub extra firm tofu, frozen overnight, thawed, drained & cubed
24oz crushed tomatoes
1 box whole wheat rotini

On medium heat, warm oil. Add onion and garlic and saute for 3 mins. Add mushrooms, zucchini and sauté for a further 3 mins. Add herbs, as well as olives and tofu and continue to sauté for 10 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and reduce heat to low, reducing sauce for 20 minutes, then season to taste. In meantime cook rotini according to instructions. Serve!

1 comment:

P said...

That sounds so good! I might try it!

10 Things in 1000 days

I decided to rationalize my impulse purchasing of knitting books by setting myself a personal challenge.
Here's how long I have left:

Is There Anybody Out There?

Total Pageviews